Product Line Manager
Position: Product Line Manager
Department: Product Line Management
Reports To: Senior Product Line Manager
Product Line Managers are the product visionaries within their specific product categories. By developing and executing a product strategy that is consistent with Edmund Optics’ technological vision and core competencies, Product Line Managers improve customer acquisition and retention efforts and ensure the profitable growth of our standard product business. Responsibilities include the strategic and tactical management of a specific product line, including developing and expanding existing product families, selecting new products, executing an end-of-life strategy for underperforming products, and meeting with customers to determine the needs and future of the market. A PLM will work closely with other functional areas including sales, marketing, and design engineering to develop objectives, presentations and financial proposals for new product initiatives. Some travel is required.
- Responsible for developing, defining and articulating an overall vision and strategy for the various specified product lines across all channels of distribution. Strategy must be supported by realistic returns on investment, marketing data, and roadmap
- Manage and mentor Product Line Engineers and Jr. Product Line Engineers in their roles while delegating product line responsibilities through the team
- Identify new domains and applications for products
- Develop, write, and execute business plans
- Develop roadmap for PLEs to maintain
- Develop IP strategies
- Responsible for full cycle of application presentations from creation to presentation
- Remain up-to-date with current scientific literature and regularly share new and relevant information with the team and key stakeholders
- Analyze target markets/segments and create a solid definition of their application needs and potential for new products. Position these new products in the marketplace. Requires working closely with sales, marketing, and external experts to gain an in-depth understanding of each market/segment and the competition
- Decide, with a core product team, about productions within the EO product line. Must be able to direct functional groups without direct reporting authority
- Decide product pricing
- Comply with federal, state, and company policies, procedures, and regulations
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable Accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- High level of personal initiative
- Strong analytical skills
- Strong negotiation skills
- Product and technology knowledge a must
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong presentation skills
- Willingness to work with many groups, across departments, and show strong team spirit
- Strong leadership skills, with ability to motivate and train people
- Can manage heavy workload of multiple, concurrent projects and priorities at once
- Excellent problem solving and creative thinking capabilities
- Comfortable with all MS Office software
Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Engineering, Physics, or related technical field; five (5) years’ experience in product marketing, product development, or project management.
Ability to travel; work in office and/or lab setting.
Edmund Optics shall, in its discretion, modify or adjust the position to meet the company’s changing needs. This job description is not a contract and may be adjusted as deemed appropriate in the employer’s sole discretion.